Wednesday, August 09, 2006

What do I want to do when I grow up? Part 1

I guess when one turns 40, one starts their mid life crisis. So I am starting to ponder the things that I wanted to do but never did and see if there is any chance of happening in the future.

So let's start with something old: the thought of becoming a teacher. A high school Math teacher to be precise. I did that for two years not long after graduating. It was challenging for a young guy who is not patient and does not possess the wisdom (read conviction) to stick to his ways and do the right thing for the students. Somewhere in the back of my head this is a broken dream and one day I want to try it again...

Also back in my education training and undergrad days there was a thought: the use of history in aiding the instruction of math. The argument I have is that topics should be introduced in the order of their discovery in history. For example, the concept of limit was introduced after integration and differentiation. So therefore when teaching students you really need to talk about differentiation and integration before you can introduce limits in any reasonable manner. But yet if you read Calculus textbooks 99% of them would define limit ahead.

No comments:

 
Listed on BlogShares